According to reports, Mitchell Trubisky picked the Bills over the Broncos
The former Bears quarterback chose being a backup in Buffalo over competing for a starting job in Denver, as the Broncos missed out again
Watch: Nuggets trade Watson — Is the Championship window closing? | Stokley and Evans with Mark Schlereth | 9 mins
It’s not as though the Broncos aren’t trying to bring in competition for Drew Lock. They just keep striking out in their efforts.
In February, Denver was reportedly involved in trade conversations with Detroit regarding Matthew Stafford. Ultimately, the Lions sent the quarterback to the Rams in exchange for Jared Goff, two first-round picks and a third-round selection.
And recently, it appears as though Denver made a run at Mitchell Trubisky in free agency. The former Bears quarterback chose to sign with the Bills, where he will undoubtably be Josh Allen’s backup, instead of coming to the Broncos, where he would’ve had a chance to compete for the starting job.
This was just one of the revelations in Ben Volin’s latest article in the Boston Globe. When outlining some of the biggest head-scratchers in NFL free agency, he had this to say about the Broncos.
Eleven quarterbacks have signed contracts this offseason, including eight who have switched teams, yet the Broncos have curiously not added a QB. The starter is still Drew Lock, whose 75.4 passer rating ranked 32nd out of 35 QBs last year, and their only backups are Brett Rypien and Jeff Driskel. Perhaps the Broncos were hoping to make a run at Deshaun Watson, which now has hit a major snag. One league source said he was surprised that Mitchell Trubisky signed with the Bills, because the Broncos showed interest. Jimmy Garoppolo is now potentially available, or perhaps the Broncos will show interest in Gardner Minshew, who may be on the trade block in Jacksonville.
George Paton has repeatedly said that he wants to bring in competition at quarterback. The Broncos general manager has also said that he’s not going to “force it.”
But after missing out on Stafford and Trubisky, seeing the Deshaun Watson situation devolve and watching other teams leapfrog the Broncos on the draft board, it might be time for Paton to get more aggressive. He’s starting to run out of options.
***
UPDATE: The Broncos are denying the report, through Mike Klis of 9News.
Not sure where this started but Broncos did not make offer, and were not in on QB Mitch Trubisky per source. He was on team's preliminary list. Trubisky had interest in Denver. But once free agency begin, Broncos didn't pursue Trubisky, who signed 1-yr, $2.5M deal w/BUF. #9sports
— Mike Klis (@MikeKlis) March 30, 2021






Comments
0 Comments