J.K. Dobbins doesn’t have revenge on his mind as he faces his old team
Former Chargers running back J.K. Dobbins is amped to face the team that slapped a UFA tag on him, but insists he isn't thinking about revenge.
Watch: Former Broncos RB, Montee' Ball joins the Drive pt 2 — opens up about addiction and finding balance | 10 mins
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — If Broncos running back J.K. Dobbins is still miffed at his former team slapping the rarely-used unrestricted free-agent tender on him in this past offseason, he isn’t letting it show.
As a matter of fact, he seemed downright cheerful about it when the topic arose Thursday.
“It’s in the past. I’m here; I’m a Bronco trying to do well this year,” Dobbins said. “I’m trying to beat everything that I did last year for those guys.
“And, yeah, they hit me with a tag. But it doesn’t matter anymore. It’s time to play ball.”
That tag didn’t prevent Dobbins from signing with the Broncos in June, of course. But it did put a complication into the mix, as it meant that if he went unsigned into training camp, the Chargers had exclusive rights to him.
Thus, Dobbins couldn’t do what plenty of players in his shoes had the luxury of doing: wait out an injury to a running back in August or early in the regular season and then sign with that team, parachuting in to save the day. He needed to find a home.
Fortunately for him, the Broncos called, and so far this season, he has 139 rushing yards, a touchdown in each game and a robust 4.6-yards-per-carry average — matching his per-carry pace last year.
“When he’s healthy, he might be a top-five back in the league,” Broncos tight end Adam Trautman said. “He’s really good.”
And Dobbins left Southern California with a suitcase of memories from a season that revived his career after he played just nine games in the previous three seasons with the Baltimore Ravens due to injuries. Dobbins acknowledged that SoFi Stadium remains a “special place” to him.
“But I’m just going there to win the game,” he said. “I’m gonna do whatever it takes to win the game. However that may be — it may be ugly, may be pretty, but I’m just going there to win the game.”
View on Threads
CHARGERS HAVEN’T RUN THE BALL WELL WITHOUT DOBBINS
While they’re off to a splendid start, it’s happened mostly via their defense and the passing talents of quarterback Justin Herbert rather than the ground game that has typically powered the offenses guided by head coach Jim Harbaugh and offensive coordinator Greg Roman.
Hampton and Harris have a combined 105 yards through two games. Neither is averaging even 4.0 yards per carry. And Herbert has averaged 52.4 more gross yards through the air so far this season than he did last year, putting him on pace for the level of production he last reached in 2022 — when current Broncos offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi called plays for him.
So, why are the Chargers running less and passing more?
“I don’t know. I like to say that maybe they let Number 27 go, so maybe that’s why?” Dobbins said.
“Nah, I’m just messing around, though. But they just, they see something on the film and the game plan, and that’s just how it goes. They might come out this week trying to run the ball more. Who knows?
“It’s all about what G-Ro (Greg Roman) sees over there, and that’s them. I’m just worried about what we’re doing over here, and hopefully the defense gets that handled and we’ll come out victorious.”






Comments
0 Comments